Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Rejection Slip Theater 22a ©

Hey, kids, wake up! It's time for a whole new season of Rejection Slip Theater ©, podcast Episode 22a, first aired on radio in 1994.



Years before Homeland Insecurity forced airline passengers to remove shoes and fear random toothpaste inspections, RST aired a horror story about the inner workings of a slightly deranged airline captain's mind. Due to events that followed seven years after "In Good Hands" © aired it's been stored in the RST vault. Now, it's back for your consideration.



And, as always, we take the Garden State Parkway, Exit 168, to Westwood, New Jersey to visit Artie Azzetti and the Gang ©, as they try to decode Jean Shepherd's barbaric yawp shouted across the rooftops of the 1968 suburban world: Flick Lives!



These Mind Movies are only a click away:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/rejectionsliptheater

Remember, kids: Tell your friends where you heard it--for free--on Rejection Slip Theater Podcast Radio ©.
Credits: Rejection Slip Theater (original © 1993), was created and produced by Joseph Pundzak and Paul Berge.
Michael Meacham, Technical Director.
This episode's Rejection Players cast features: Michael Meacham, Michael Cornelison and Joseph Pundzak.
Joseph Pundzak, Executive Producer.
Original music by Jamie Poulsen.
All Artie Azzetti And The Gang © stories were written and performed by Paul Berge, all rights reserved.
All original written stories remain the copyrighted property of the authors, used with permission by Rejection Slip Theater, which retains all rights to the audio productions.

Most performers are available for voice work through Radio Garage in Urbandale, Iowa (http://www.radiogarage.com/).

Hey, kids: Wanna Put On A Live Radioplay? Who doesn't? Some of the RST radioplays are available for theatrical production. Contact us for scripts, fees and copyrights at: rejectslip@aol.com Write "RST scripts" in the subject bar. No: attachments, Fwd, viri or embedded messages, please, or the US Librarian of Congress will shush you so fast, sister, it'll...well, it'll do nothing.
Our podcast guru is Dan Wardell. More RST podcasts at: http://feeds.feedburner.com/rejectionsliptheater
RST web site and Contact Us: http://www.paulberge.com/
Iowa Caucus coverage at http://www.blogparty08.blogspot.com/
"...and I've been your host, Paul Berge. Good night...or good morning. Whatever works." *** Artie Azzetti and the Gang ©, by Paul Berge, all rights reserved. All wrongs righted.

2 comments:

T. Zombie said...

I have been thoroughly enjoying listening to these programs again. I discovered old time radio shows through Stan Freberg's Radio Spirits radiomercial on WHO 1040, which initially tricked me into thinking someone had come up with a totally new concept of having Superman on the radio. My father, who was born in 1938, was able to sort out what I was excitedly rambling about and explained that radio drama was in fact quite old. So I became a regular listener to WHO for Radio Spirits, and then one night RST came on. It took me a bit to realize that now this, this was something new and contemporary. Unfortunately, it came on at 10PM in Georgia, which was a problem because it happened to be my bedtime. I tried to argue for an extension, but those pleas fell on deaf ears. So I had to sneak my NASCAR headphones with the built in radio under the covers and listen as quietly as possible so as not to arouse the suspicions of my mother, who didn't like paying for all those replacement 9-volt batteries I'd go through when I fell asleep listening and didn't turn the radio off.

Hearing the Artie Azzetti and Me Halloween story again really brought back memories. I can remember being really excited by that story and going to school the next day and trying to explain the concept of RST to my fellow sixth/seventh graders (depending on if it aired in 93 or 94, I can't remember). I told them all they had to do was get a radio, switch it to AM, stay up till 10PM once a week and try to tune in a radio station from Iowa to listen to an hour of dramatized stories on the radio. I don't recollect having any takers. I've tried to make up for my lack of converts back then by at least getting my wife interested in RST and radio dramas in general today. She got a big laugh out of the Tree Fort story and she listened to the whole hour of Leveraging Christmas long after I had fallen asleep. I also posted a message about about the free podcasts over on the Zootradio forums, which are always an audience hungry for radio drama. So I like to think I'm doing my small part to earn the right to listen to free RST.

Anyway, I am thankful to you sharing these shows with us and I hope that the lack of comments are not discouraging you from continuing to provide them. Your show helped solidify my love of radio and, along with the writings of Stephen King, made me think that the period between about 1955 and 1965 was the greatest ten years in the recorded human history of adolescent boys.

In short, thanks for making RST back then, and thanks for making it available to me today. I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Joe Newberry
Ellijay, GA

Paul Berge Rejection Slip Theater said...

"hey, Joey, Mikey, look what we got!"
"What's that, Pauly?" Joey Pundzak and Mikey Meacham answered.
"We got a fan," Pauly shouted while pointing to the Blogspot Comments section.
"A what?"
"Fan!"
"Spam?"
No, a fan, short for 'fanatic," as in someone just as fanatic as us..."
"As we," Mikey interjected.
"...likes Rejection Slip Theater."
"What's his name?"
"Claims it's Joe..."
"Joe? Like me?" Pundzak asked.
"Or Stalin, either way, he's from some place in Georgia..."
"Stalin was from Georgia..."
"...and listened to the RST podcast."
"What's a podcast?" Joey asked and Mikey sighed.
"We've been all through this before, Joey, Rejection Slip Theater, aka RST, is now podcast, so the entire world canm listen."
"Even in Georgia?"
"Apparently."
"Hey, Joe-the-Fan in Georgia, thanks for the note and be sure to tell your friends...."
"And Drink Your Ovaltine!"
"Joey, we can't say that."
"Why not? Ovaltine is chocolatey and delicious."
"Yeah, but Jean Shepherd thought of it first."
"Is there anything that guy didn't think of first?"
"Rejection slips and Rejection Slip Theater."
And Joey, Pauly and Mikey all nodded their heads in Jack Webb agreement as the screen faded to radio black.